About a year ago, I purchased the Basic Lead Filler kit from Eastwood. I wasn't sure if that was something I wanted to tackle. I thought about it, and figured the worst I could do was to overheat the hood (which was the body part I wanted to work on) and warp the crap out of it and ruin it forever. So, Why not?
The first thing I had to do was to brush on some tinning butter to get the lead to stick to the metal. I then heated it to cure it.
I used a propane torch to melt the lead and spread the lead while inadvertently setting fire to my wooden paddle. But it spread out pretty well.
Since the product is actually a lead-free solder, I could have used an electric sander. After trying it, I didn't like the way it came out. So I used the "cheese grater" that came with it.
After some deep burning in the shoulders, the soldering began to take shape. I was pleased.
Saturday, February 21, 2009
I went over Ron's to check on the progress, and make the final payment. He had the engine and the Muncie 22 tranny all mocked up. It all looks great. All of the motor mounts and tranny cross-member were all fabricated from scratch. He had a mock engine in there and was measuring it all up.
And finally, here is a picture with the new engine in it. I can't wait to fire it up...