The original gas pedal is held together by a ball and socket type set up. The rod that comes through the floorboard had the "ball" on the end. The back side of the pedal has a rubber socket that the ball pops into. Anyway, it eroded and is now broken. I found an old Speed King bass drum pedal and decided to make a pedal out of it.
If you have never seen one of these, it looks to be an easy convert. There is a good base with a solid hinge. The top of the pedal connects to the a swing arm that moves the drum stick so that it strikes the bass drum. While all of that extra metal is, I am sure, functional and necessary to play the bass drum, it is top heavy in appearance and just all around ugly.
So I got out the cutting wheel, and took the end off. Unfortunately, I don't own a die grinder, yet, so I used the side of the cutting wheel to smooth out my cuts. 'Came out pretty good. And I polished it up a little too.
Additionally, we want to french the headlights. So there is no better way to accomplish that, in my opinion, than through the use of a pair of 1953 Ford headlight rings. The outer rings were separate from the inner rings. Not knowing anything about Fords, I had to do some homework and I found that there were some clips that held the two together. I was able to find those clips at Mac's Antique Auto Parts.