Wednesday, July 29, 2009

As Bonneville Looms...

I was thinking that in honor of Speed Week at the Bonneville Salt Flats, held every year by the Southern California Timing Association, that I would post a few videos I found about the history of the event. The SCTA was created in 1937 to regulate and limit racing on public streets. The SCTA made racing move to the dragstrip and salt flats. This year's pilgrimage to the salt flats at Bonneville commences August 8th through the 14th. I plan on taking the Pickle out there next year (car gods willing). My wife Tammy has already said she will pass on the trip because it involves driving in the Pickle through the Arizona desert with no A/C. Either way, I will be there.

*Note the comment the narrator (Alex Xydias, the founder of SoCal Speed Shop) makes at the beginning of the first video about how kids would take offense to the term "hot rod"; that a hot rod was "anything that lacked fenders and a muffler." These comments are almost identical to the complaints of hot rodders of today when their cars are called rat rods. It always amazes me how things in life are so cyclical.





No comments: